The game is increasingly moot!

I am a self-proclaimed advocate and publicist of the Sherlock Holmes adventure series. In my endeavour to emulate the detective, I have over the years tried to refine my observation skills, hone my deducing abilities and have made a conscious effort to clear up my mental attic of unwanted information. Yes, attic not hard drive!.

I've had my hair stand on end during the Hound of the Baskervilles, my stomach churn during the Final problem, have gasped with reverence at Holmes's theatrics during the Twisted lip and moved at the compassion he has shown during the Blue carbuncle.
I can safely say I am a Sherlock Holmes loyalist. After countless adaptations, a spurt of mindless remakes/versions, all made in the pursuit of recreating Conan Doyle's magic, I can say this with some certainty and I'm sure I'm not alone in the sentiment that I am disappointed with the recent BBC series. If it wasn't sufficient that they portrayed Holmes like a smug and obnoxious narcissist in the previous two series, they made him look like a docile puppy dog, wagging his tail around Watson playing the role of the 'naughty' devarji, pussyfooting with the Watsons in the hope of appeasing and saving "bhaiya-Bhaabhi" from social evils and cultural backlash. This at best can pass off as the British version of our Balaji telefilm’s incoherent soap operas. The only thing missing was a choreographed dance sequence and mouthed lyrics.
The Jeremy Brett series was a tad closer to recreating the genius of the sleuth. Shocking as this may be for you to read, it shocks me even more as I write it out, the Americans did a better job with elementary. The recent BBC series is farfetched and a complete let down. I like to believe that the reason why no one comes anywhere close to Conan Doyle's level of brilliance is because, everyone tries to recreate the bohemian sociopath to adapt to today's times without realizing that Conan Doyle's masterpiece is timeless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journey to the center of the mind

A strange experience in a Mumbai local

I’d like to speak to the manager