An ode to Her


It was a cold evening in February. The winds had gone silent and a chilly unsettling nervousness nestled on every rooftop. The traffic was sparse and the crowd minimal. I stood alone in a corner waiting for her. I gathered my thoughts while I waited.

How was I to tell her what I really felt? How was I to pour out months of emotions in a single confession, in a single evening? How does one describe a feeling in absolute terms? Will any superlative do justice to describe her beauty? Are there words in the English vocabulary that can describe what passes through me every time I lay my eyes on her? Why is it that I can write a thesis on a glow worm, but I fall short of words every time I see her?

She must think I'm foolish, that I'm inarticulate! Oh how I wish she could view a glimpse of the thoughts that flash through my mind every time I see her. How sluggish my senses become when her windswept and scraggly hair falls over her face momentarily overshadowing her cat like eyes.

How do I convey that her smile soothes me? That it brings me peace? How am I to explain to her that when I tell her that she's beautiful, I'm making a brutal understatement, because she is so much more than just beautiful? How is it that a single individual can cause me both immeasurable suffering and paramount happiness? She holds the power to paralyse my every nerve, the key to unlocking my vulnerability, the prowess to confound me with her words, and the penchant to stir excitement within my senses.

Her indifference is worse than impalement and her laughter an anaesthetic to my most searing pains. Her silence is louder than a drum roll and her anger pierces sharper than a surgical knife. I do not think there's a word in any language anywhere that can define in an absolute term, the happiness she brings me.

The next time I'm asked to name a drug that is both pain inducing and pain relieving, I will take her name. When I fall short of words to convey my deepest and darkest feelings, I’ll take her name. I needn't enlist adjectives and use fancy phrases to describe her because she sums it up.
As I watch her approaching in a distance, I try again to gather my thoughts, but her beauty distracts me. I fight the urge to look at her face and marvel at its beauty. She looks at me and smiles, and I just take her name.

Comments

  1. Beautiful. So well put. Here's hoping you get to tell Her everything you've always wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. N you have summed it up so well!
    Addicted to your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A strange experience in a Mumbai local

Journey to the center of the mind

I’d like to speak to the manager